Thursday 8 March 2012

Diamond Jubilee


I wish I had words to describe the feelings that filled my heart while I was at the Cathedral this morning. The atmosphere was similar to a time away at Spring Harvest when one is surrounded by men and women of faith.  It was a wonderful time of pageant and joy. The Royal party had begun the first official visit to celebrate 60 years of her Majesty’s reign. It brought a lump to my throat as Queen Elizabeth stood in the porch of St Martin’s Cathedral in full view of the congregation. Dressed in a magnificent pink and navy outfit she initiated a service which displayed the loving and caring nature of the multicultural society which is Leicester in the 21st century. Faith was the keyword, but the presentations by people of many faiths showed that from a history of conflict and distrust our city has become a place of shared peace and understanding.